Tuesday, September 22, 2015

A Squirrely Treasure


This block is an old traditional pattern known by a few names- Churn Dash, Quails Nest, Monkey Wrench and Barn Door.  Using the border fabric as a starting point I picked my colours, trying for lights, mediums, and darks in several colours as I wanted a scrappy effect.  The alternate blocks are neutrals.

 This quilt probably started my luv affair with on point or diagonal designs.  :}

It is a well used quilt, faded; and the cotton batting has gotten quite thin.  The quilting is just straight lines with a walking foot.  I guess I could say it is a summer quilt.

I spent hours, heck days, spreading my colours around to display a pleasing balance.  I particularly wanted the few yellows to be separated.  After sewing it all together and basting it I discovered that some blocks had moved from their pre-arranged position.  :[  The butter curdled.  The monkey threw a wrench. 

I thought nuts! and changed its name to Squirrels Nest!   I was not laughing then, but I do now.  ;^)

4 comments:

Jo Ferguson said...

I'm a big fan of diagonal settings. I adore this quilt, especially the story and name behind it.

Createology said...

This quilt and backstory are a loving treasure in your home. The fading really adds to its beauty. Great name you have chosen...

Beth said...

Lovely calming quilt and I love the guard squirrel

MarveLes Art Studios said...

sweet quilt... sounds even sweeter now that you are enjoying it more!