Saturday, January 23, 2010

Saturday Setting


Looks like snow days are setting in. A cancellation for tomorrow already because winds are expected to begin blowing and then all the pretty flakes make for a white out. I think I touched a camera setting as everything is pretty dark but this one kinda appealed. The big fat snow flakes aren't showing up though.
I have had a bit of a blizzard happening inside as I tweak the winter decor. Winter is my most traditional season with rich colours, lots of texture from crocheted doilies, tablecloths, dull brass candles, sparkling crystal with pine cones and berries sprinkled around. I luv the smell of cinnamon. And of course lots of quilts.
The focus for this year is personalizing my decor as much as possible. I don't want matchy matchy but what best expresses who we are and how we do life. I have some shelves in the basement set aside for accessories and I absolutely delight in arranging and rearranging vignettes. They never seem to be the same even though the seasons repeat. But then we ourselves are always changing as we have new experiences. To focus I have a colour palette of cranberries and golds. The natural element is leaves so winter is pine needles, pine cones and probably berries. To further simplify I chose squares and rectangles as the quilt block shapes. I have no lack of ideas for quilts, wall hangings, table runners and place mats. 8^) I'm also looking forward to adding my very own touches as I explore mixed media techniques.
The focus for next week is wet stuff. I'm a bit nervous/excited to see what I come up with. I hope the blizzard doesn't turn into a typhoon!

No comments: