Friday, November 26, 2010

AB 101 gesso the cover

I've chosen the book that I want to alter.
My cover is very shiny so I needed to sand the cover to rough it up.

Then I applied gesso all over but I went sparingly in the coloured area so that some of those coloured quilt blocks show thru.


I decided not to dry it flat but draped it over the clothes horse so the groove at the spine could dry properly. It'll require some reinforcing because already I have a separation happening from sanding in the groove. I wonder if duct tape will be the solution? ;)

2 comments:

Createology said...

Hi Elle: I just caught up on your last very busy post. Glad your field trip happened okay.
Now you are on to a great start with your altered book. One would think you never rest. :o) Happy weekend to you...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You can use duct tape, HVAC tape (which is shiny metal looking, you can reinforce by placing a two page spread over the inside cover and the cover page. All of these will work. I think my example was using a two page spread. However, you can also use mulberry paper or paint on tyvek envelopes (found in US post offices, not sure if you have them free in yours). Any of these will work, but IF you use duct tape, it would be best to use it, then cover over the tape with some collage or decorated pages. Hope that helps.