First I sectioned off the front pages so I could work on the block of pages at the back of the book that I had reserved for the niche. I used the gel medium to seal up the edges opposite the spine. I clamped it tightly. Then I did the two ends and clamped them. I propped the whole niche section upright and allowed it to dry over night.
The clamps stuck a bit to the paper but I will be prepping the pages later with gesso and colour. I did use my nail file on some of the roughness.
Then I drew a square on the loose page in front of my block of pages which will be the niche. This is the shape for the niche. I used an exacto knife because that is what I had. I cut along the penciled line, working against my acrylic ruler and from each corner.
And I began to remove the cut squares. I cut and removed and I cut some more. And there were lots to remove.
I had placed a mat between the block of pages which make the niche and the book's cover. I finally broke thru, cleaned up all the debris, used my nail file on a rather ragged edge and began to apply the gel medium all along the inside edges.
This is a bit tricky to get the clamps positioned but once again they hold things tightly in place as the edges dry and seal. The niche will then dry. It is done in advance because that is easier. We'll revisit the niche later. Next up is colouring the pages. Much more exciting than clear glue!!! Whoo hoo! I have jumped over that wall of procrastination.