Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A rose by any other name



I had never named any sewing machines before I had Berninas. But as I began to really get into sewing as a joy rather than a necessity I realized 'hugging' your machine and making it happy was fun. My first Bernina was a plain machine and I called her Pat. The second was fancier so she needed a fancier name. Ingrid seemed to fit her, a nod to her heritage. Lots of gals call their Bernina's Bernie but I've not felt the gender connection. When I found carrying Pat about to be too much I went for a light, cheap and portable machine for 'take out'! Mini was an easy fit. She is a Minimatic from 1972 with very few frills but I didn't need any. She is no Featherweight but she fit all of Pat and Ingrid's feet and is up for travel. I had got one of those wheeled carts that were designed for scrapbooking and I'd slide her in without her case and we were good to go. The problem was I was using two hands to get her downstairs and then down the steps. Grass and gravel, not to mention snow banks began to frustrate me so she is back in her case and my right hand gal as I navigate paths, curbs and steps. I might add that a full tote in my left hand balances things out but I could use Bernina's free hand system to get doors opened.
Now my new machine is heavy. A big girl, she won't be doing road trips. But she is not a Bertha. She is classy, a high stepper, and I think she would like all kinds of fashionable fun . I think she is a tad disappointed that her new mistress is not too quick on the draw and pretty conservative. I think she'll be taking me to some festivities where we'll flamingo dance, flirt and watch the fireworks! All in the playroom, of course, but... whoo! She's a Nina!

2 comments:

Annie Crow said...

Oh, fun, naming your machines. As I make better friends with mine maybe I'll name her too. Or maybe naming her will help me make better friends, I don't know. She's been a good workhorse whenever I've called on her over the years, even if we do better moving sl-o-ow. I think of her almost as a mule.

Createology said...

Great story elle. I have always named my cars and trucks but not my sewing machines. Hmmm...