Wednesday, October 19, 2011

WOW again, TAP










Last Wednesday I posted about my For the Birds challenge using Transfer Artist Paper. I felt something was wrong so I tried again and I got it figured.




I tried transferring images from my computer onto fabric using transfer sheets.


The first sheets I used were from the package of 5 on the right. These were old and TAP has a shelf life of 3 years. The directions say the sheets are smooth after the transfer and mine were not. The good news is that I have a blurry image that I can add layers of mixed media surface to and I have a stiff paper that also has a blurry image I can play with so all is not lost. ;^)



The package I recently won from 3CS's contained the package of TAP on the left. It had 16 sheets, a great value pack. The process went extremely well and I had used up my quota before I knew it. I do wish I had thought a bit more before I got carried away as I'd have chosen the best images and then positioned the images better.




The blue fabrics were because I want a collage of quilts for my playroom wall. The colour of the background is definitely a huge factor.


I began to try lighter fabrics.

The ink jet printer worked well but uses huge amounts of ink so my last prints are not as clear because some of the colours are not at optimum levels. Again this can be okay if you like a faded look. But a good understanding of photo editing will do the same thing, I imagine.



I am no techy so the positioning, tweaking and enlarging of the image itself was very amateurish. I have a lot of waste pieces because it is recommended to trim off any white edging. These can be reused.


I drew on some with a marker and they transferred just fine. The directions say that you can draw on the TAP with other mediums.


The best use of the sheets is full sized images or a mosaic of images that can be cut apart and then ironed onto the preferred background.


I did try on paper. It does work although I see that the iron also heats up the glue if you are adhering to a layered page. The green fabric was not a good colour for the background of the eggs. Again, another creative opportunity waiting to be tried to improve this. LOL

One transfer had some water from the iron bubble onto it. Awk! A favorite image and I've no more ink or sheets! Fortunately it was at the bottom left edge and again gives a kinda cool effect. But my ink is also fatiguing. :(



So that is my recap from last week's what if...

I did quite enjoy this and will definitely be doing more of it.



But this is really what is on my worktable. I am going to be immersed in machine quilting just as soon as I get this last quilt basted.

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

It looks like you have it totally mastered now!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Elle, thanks so much for posting this! I love seeing what you did with this and learned a lot. Your quilt is beautiful and I look forward to seeing what you with the machine quilting.

Dandelion and Daisy said...

I love, love, love that quilt in my two favorite colors! I appreciate your sharing what you are learning about the TAP. I would have thrown the scraps away, thanks for the reminder that you can draw and paint on them! Having a printer at home is so handy and a wonderful luxury, turned necessity, but they really do gooble up the ink!

Sheila said...

Lovely quilt waiting to be quilted and your photo transfers are so interesting , I 'd like to know how to do this , amazing!