Well, when the Gelli plate comes out of its package and lays on the worktable it looks about as exciting as sliced bread. But I have to tell you that when the peanut butter and jelly is spread things begin to get very tasty and exciting! And I don't even like peanut butter and jelly!
I have the larger size and it is a bit pricey for a peanut butter budget. BUT- it is worth every penny and you can always make your own jelly to stretch the food budget! lol
I added cheap craft acrylic paint right on the Gelli plate's surface.
I have it placed on an old glass cutting board.
I spread it with my brayer. Two brayers are ideal as one is wet and one is or should be dry.
I began to create. It isn't necessary to clean every time. A little forethought helps though.
I had to stop and flap my chin back up in place sometimes!
And I began to move. Might be due to hyperactivity, just saying. I had prepared various kinds of papers and some cotton fabric but I was soon avalanching paper and book piles in a grab for more. Paint bottles were knocked over. I stubbed my toe on a drawer that had not been closed after a search for texture. No time for compassion. Whoo hoo!
I tried a new rubbing plate. Needs some technique tweaking but do-able.
A Feather! This is just how the fabric pulls back from the Gelli plate and leaves the feather with the paint under it. The feather itself didn't make such a good second stamp image.
Who cares! Look at that first image!
Now if there is some paint left and you want to get the pattern one more time, you can add a better, full bodied white acrylic, brayer it and take another print. I may be using too much.
The third 'pull' really shows the original before the white was added. I had used string on a bright green. I'm not sure why this works but I can tell you that there needs be no waste with this process.
I started with lighter colours. I often went over the originals another time or two.
And worked to the darker.
The top right was just cleaning my brayer!
The net with the paint that didn't get used was laid on this aqua and brayered down and the net transferred wonderfully.
The top left was some full bodied acrylic that I had pulled using large bubble wrap on. I knew I'd get what I was after on the second pull so I used the white on the bubbles after I lifted it to press onto another paper. I was scrambling to find a place to do that and did it on the floor. Not too bright but...
This amazing piece is that plastic canvas I got at the thrift shop. I tell you, my heart almost stopped I was so thrilled, even with the smudged part!
The terms for some of these prints are direct print, indirect print and ghost print.
I have had an exhilarating worktable day!
I hope my fellow Canucks are as exhilarate!
Please have a look see over at The Needle & Thread Network.