Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Packing Tape Images


Okay, it is a go for Tuesday Tutorials and I'm working on the next Altered Book technique.

I've not done any transfers before and these seem relatively easy although I am wondering why one wouldn't just cut out the image and adhere it with a gel medium to the page.  White backgrounds would give a transparent look and that would certainly be worthwhile.  Bulk might also be an issue.  The shine could be dulled with some matt gel medium.


The images are limited to the clear packing tape width but apparently old clear contact sheets work. They are placed right sides down and then burnished.  I must admit that keeping strips of the tape free and not attached to itself, obects and even other images is a bit challenging.  


I burnished away in all directions.


These are all the images burnished and facing upwards.  I burnished them on the front just for good measure as well as the back.


I dropped them into warm water.  They curled right away. and I began to rub the paper off the tape which was pretty easy.


Here they all are drying on a paper towel. I shall be finding places for them in my Leaves Altered book and my calendar journal.  But not today.

That is all I got done today as I have small and busy house guests!  I also have my DD suggesting searches for glass door knobs. I think we need to get the Rooster searching Kijiji now that he has finally found his truck and doesn't know what to do with his computer time!!!  LOL  I wonder if he needs a tutorial? ;^)

4 comments:

Createology said...

Tutorial Tuesday is a good one. I have done these tape transfers and found them to be addictive. You can also lay rows of tape together for a wider image. I like the window appearance of the finished image...or the ghostly image when the paper doesn't come completely off. These will be wonderful in your AB and calendar pages. Your home must be a beehive of activity dear. Breathe and create...

Leanne said...

Interesting technique, I like that word "burnished". Thank you for sharing.

Dandelion and Daisy said...

I like doing these transfers but I can never remember to take my photos to some place and to have non-ink jet copies made. I've used clear contact paper several times and it works well. Nice tut!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I really enjoyed the way you documented my tutorial. Very nicely done.

I didn't get what you meant by just using gel medium to cover the white, though. Gel medium alone won't make an image transparent. You have to remove the paper backing regardless. I think you did a good job with the transfers, though.