Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Wow, windows


I was introduced to duvet covers by my aunt.  She gave me her two single sized feather ticks and several covers and pillow cases. Straight  from Germany!  I passed on the the pillows and ticks to those who really luved them but kept the bedding.  What gorgeous fabric!   I have used the pairs of covers as long curtains. These are an extremely washable and sturdy cotton damask fabric with a lovely texture that is reversible.


So when I am in the thrift shop I keep an eye out for suitable covers.  Such a find was this orange duvet cover.  The fabric is strong enough to hold up to tearing the sewn seam free and leaving a strong selvage edge.  By cutting the button and button hole bands off I have fabric that is 53 inches wide and 144 inches long,  just barely enough for a pair of short curtains for the Sunshine room!  I will actually be using the side that faced inward so it is practically brand new!  lol


I just am thrilled with this golden yellow with an orange stripe.


Getting a good picture is a challenge.


Hind sight:  I should have faced the top for the gathers and rod pocket and then had more depth in the bottom hem. But it passes the galloping horse test and the grand kiddies themselves will be moving fast enough to not notice small glitches.  lol
And now I'm reviewing the pictures I'm not so sure I like the curtain rod showing.  Hmm, I need another creative 'wht if...'.


Now for the would-be bathroom.  I have a pair of duvets that will give me lots of options! The fabric is thinner but I do have two.  They are white with thin orange stripes and some wider ones in blue, pink, yellow and mint green.  I'm thinking that this bathroom will be white.   I will have options!

I will also have scraps.  This particular fabric is pretty soft (worn) so I'm not sure how it would piece together in a quilt.  But there is another 'what if...'.

I'll be checking out any windows I can see from the gals who link up to The Needle & Thread Network.  I might  get some more inspiration!

8 comments:

Susan J Barker said...

Great idea using the duvet fabrics as curtains...I have bought sheets at the thrift shop for just that purpose when we rented a house for a couple of years! Mind you they were a bit flowery, but no one seemed to mind!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

love the color Elle

Jennifer Scantlebury Vienneau said...

That is an excellent way to re-purpose duvet covers! Don’t you love great thrift finds!

Anonymous said...

Thrift stores feed our imagination! Your find certainly has made your room cheery!

Carolyn Dube said...

Who wouldn't love those curtains! That fabric is scrumptious! Such a happy yellow! I know what you mean about the photo challenges!

Createology said...

Your window looks lovely and what a smart use of fabric. We know how to look at things with "different eyes". Bright Sunny Smiles Dear...

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Thanks Elle!!!!

Jo Vandermey said...

What a great idea.

I need to hit the thrift stores more often...
instead of just donating stuff.

But then really I should just use the junk I have.
sigh... you give me to many ideas.