Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Old Ladies and doilies


When I began to quilt I began to appreciate things that were handmade. My paternal grandmother crocheted doilies. Oodles of them! I don't use too many as decor items but I couldn't bear to just let them go when we downsized my parents. The Technique of the Month is painted lace. Now my Granny had a love affair with the variegated coloured doilies but also many white ones. Any that were in sad shape I can use for projects. I also got some stuff from a shirt tail relative. His mother obviously liked touring in the Asia as I have got lots stuff that is meant for very fancy garments. I have no idea of the fibre content so I was rather apprehensive of painting some of it but it seems to have took. This piece is about 16" square and I have need of some ATC's so I'll be processing them later this month. I was a bit frustrated at first as my first sample looks like some kindergarten project. But I'm catching on that at this point I like to work in colour harmonies that are analogous. These are colours that are side by side on the colour wheel. So if I do subtle, I am way more satisfied.
Next on the deadlines is the Quilt Challenge. I had a thought. Then I had a better thought. But after rereading the requirements I shall set aside the latter and rush ahead with the former. Now both will be done but I need to try to meet that deadline. This week's agendas aren't conducive to single minded determination but we'll see what we can do. Drat, I wish I could shake procrastination!

5 comments:

Cheryl Arkison said...

When I first saw that I thought it was quilting!

Unknown said...

I have three UFOs at the moment and one that's only a thought quilt but needs to be a reality by the end of the month... the Passage of time is swift, ya? ;)

(Word Verification: "doompet"... your chickens aren't all that scary, are they??)

Medium Laura Evans said...

some of those look tatted. Very nice :)

Createology said...

Lovely lace and the colors are so soft and pretty. With your idea comes a finished project. Happy creating...

bjrjames said...

I love it!