Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Tuesday's Treasure

Which one is the treasure???
This Magic Tiles quilt was made when our Country Road Quilters group met for a day sometime in the fall of 1997.  Someone had the directions and we all set to work.

I chose a neutral palette of fabrics and black leading.  I have finally figured out that I prefer low contrast in my quilts so  I do quite like it and have managed to not give this one away.

I practiced my machine quilting skills by doing something different for each wee section.  When I had quite run out of ideas I filled the last half dozen that I'd somehow missed with X's.  :)  The border is various pieces from the blocks that I joined on the diagonal and were positioned to flow around the centre.

I like working with this principle of shuffling fabrics as it keeps my interest high.  I have made several without the leading and then used my sewing machines embroidery stitches to make Victorian Crazy quilts.  Since then I discovered the 'shuffle the deck' quilts that  Karla Alexander has made popular.

I am linking this to Throwback Thursday.

13 comments:

Leanne said...

This is a lovely quilt, and good for you to do all that free motion quilting on it.

Mary Ann Tate said...

It's a beautiful quilt. I love the fabrics you used:)

Createology said...

I clearly see two treasures. Great quilt and such a great way to practice quilting stitches. What will Wednesday hold???

Beth said...

That is aa wonderful quilt the the photo with your grandson is really nice.

Margaret said...

Two treasures! And your MT is beautiful -- the border fabrics are so subtle that you can't tell from the photo that there's more than one. Surprise!

Sandra Walker said...

I've done both! More than once...Magic Tiles (was not a fan of that leading; like your crazy quilt idea) and LOVE Karla! Have one with me here in Florida as I type that is begging to be done. I like that it takes away some of the "control" and overthinking I tend to do. The nature-themed fabrics in your Magic Tile quilt (which is huge!) are just beautiful. Very soothing.

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

Definitely more than one treasure pictured! Such a cool idea to push your skills by doing a different pattern in each block. What dedication! Thanks for linking up with Throwback Thursday @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

J

Jayne said...

It reminds me of a cobblestone road! It is a treasure indeed! I really am drawn to this color combination!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Like Jayne says above, this quilt makes me think of stones and strong architectural lines in older buildings. The machine quilting of this must have taken some time, and it looks like a treasured quilt. I'm glad you have kept it for yourself. :)

Paige said...

Both are treasures for sure! Your pieced border is great and ties the blocks all together.

Tish Stemple said...

I love the colors in this quilt and that you tried out different FMQ in each block. What a great way to practice. I have to say there are definitely two treasures in this post.

JanineMarie said...

I love the natural colors in this quilt. They remind me of the rocks by Lake Superior. And what a great idea to use it to practice different FMQ designs. The first photo is priceless! Is it current or from 1997? If it's not new, it would be fun to see a re-enactment picture.

Seth said...

This is beautiful. And I do really love the color palette.