So with the first flush of success I made this more traditional strippy but with the blocks being in a more improvisational style, square in a square, and separated by a pieced sashing. The border is a repeat of the first quilt's style. The sashing was just pieces of all the leftovers. There are lots of things I'd improve but as a first improvisational quilt, I quite like it.
I actually do not like traditional quilts with their inner and outer borders. A lot of my quilts do not have borders. When row quilts began to become popular I immediately liked them. They are strippys with a horizontal orientation. When the Common Threads Quilt Group spent a year on trying border techniques I knew I'd be making mine into a row quilt. I also knew that I needed a fabric plan if I was going to avoid having a group of blocks that would be in the same project so I grabbed white as my light, greys as my medium and black as my dark. Then I added a multicoloured checkerboard to stabilise all the piecing. The binding will be the checkerboard as well. This top is ready for some body's baby!
I have one more quilt to show but it seems I have not photographed it before and this post is actually a stalling technique. I can't post my progress on the orange strippys because of a lack of batteries for the camera. oops! I wanted a small quilt for a chair throw and sewed lots of strips using all my pinky peaches. It uses short and long strips. I learned that when you sew strip after strip the sewn strips begin to smile at you. The fabric curls or curves. To counteract that you need to sew in opposite directions every few rows.
I am just thrilled with the Process. I am sticking with a quilt to the end. I am usually hot on the trail of another idea and have begun to stack another bunch of fabrics on the cutting table and books are all over the place. Then the older project gets piled into a tub while the new kid on the block runs all over the design wall. Gee, I may actually be growing up!
I'm learning the balance of forward planning and present projects. (I will need to deal with all those unfinished bright ideas from the past though) The sunshine room is still my focus. I'm getting my bunk sketch ready for our appointment with the cabinet maker. I am sewing the second quilt top and I have the backing fabrics loosely gathered. Then I'll figure how to do the circles. I have the fabrics picked for the next room's seasonal decorating project. Those may just sit in their tub as I want to do our room first. I'll stick with the spring season planning but summer's deco plans may be less precise as I head into all my dyeing plans which include stripping the old potting shed of its pots and paraphernalia and setting it up for dyeing.
Okay, it is time to really strip, hit the shower, and seize the day!