Friday, April 11, 2014

Lo the winter is past...

Remember that buried fence!  The snow has been moving down and back pretty rapidly this week.  Some snow and rain forecast for tomorrow but I'm believing we are over the hump.  Welcome Spring!


I am away at Sketchbook Skool and it is not too bad.  No detentions and I'm trying to do all my home work.  We aren't allowed to rip out any pages but I'm hopeful that the end the book will be better than the front.  ;^)  I am no sketcher but I'm finding that everyone has their own unique way of seeing, interpreting and then expressing what appeals and it can be very ordinary things but they need to be something the sketcher actually connects with-  my doll's glasses,  my very comfortable flip flops.
 (I understand 'thongs' is no longer politically correct).

I'm starting to make the DYLP my own and finding my groove.  This week was monochromatic.

The April showers wall hanging is about ready to have the strips attached.  I wonder how much it'll shrink on the sides.  :O

I have long wanted to do something with my grandmother's book that she pasted newspaper clippings of poems into.  I also found a sure fire cure for diptheria!  I found some newspaper quilt block patterns also.  I thought they were my mum's but she'd have been seven years old when they first began to be published and my mum didn't make any quilts.  My grandmother again.  She died when my mother was a teenager.  I wonder if she took this suitcase with her when she was in the hospital?   The wooden stationary box was my mum's and I always coveted it.  She kept odds and ends of old jewelry in it and obituary notices.  ??? Anyway, I'm combining an old idea and some new insight with a new to me technique and I'll be posting all about it next month. 

So as you can see, I have lots of reasons to spring ahead!

5 comments:

Dandelion and Daisy said...

I said "thongs" way too often, seems to me the underpants should have been call "flip flops"....not a pretty picture, is it. Looks like you are doing well in Sketchbook Skool! And then, you have something new, you are a busy lady.

Margaret said...

Though I seem to be sprinting after the White Rabbit this day, I enjoyed your post...and that story of your grandmother, mother and boxes of keep-sakes...Blessings for Spring!

Createology said...

Elle Dear you have such treasures from your Grandmother and Mum. They speak to my sentimental being. I adore your sketches and they look very lifelike. You could wear your Flip Flops with Thongs and then not have to worry about being "PC". lol
Your April Showers is lovely. Wonderful Week to Spring Ahead...

Jo Ferguson said...

What a joy to see sandals. I pulled mine out of the back of the closet, yesterday. I was really touched by the mementos of your Grandmother's. I'm looking forward to seeing where the inspiration, leads you.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm trying to catch up, but it may be impossible, since you post as often as I, even though I'm sure your internet is far faster than mine.

You take on the most unique projects. I love that you have made the DLP your own. That's the way it should be. I really like the pages you are creating in Sketchbook Skool, too. I couldn't draw if my life depended on it, but we all have our niche, don't we? Now I'm off to TRY to catch up.