Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Eclectic Blogger



Blogging has seriously affected my life!

There is a quote that we are wrapped in fibre from birth to death.  But I see my life more as a thread that I follow.  Not always smooth.  There are slubs, tangles, knots, as well as splices and mends.  The route is very convoluted and definitely not always smoothly flowing.  But then that is life.

I have some definite zig zags along my pathway.

The first important zig was meeting and marrying my man, The Rooster,  Michael! It is hard to believe I could have been so smart at the ripe old age of 18.  lol  He has encouraged me to grow up, reach out and move on.  He loves me.  He also yells at me,and so as not to lose my followers sympathy  I don't disclose all the hair-brained schemes I come up with! ahem!

The biggest and best zag was when God asked if He could become involved in my life.  I was brought up to be polite so I said yes, but I couldn't imagine what He'd find to change.  That was 40 years ago.  My thread was running pretty smoothly and the variegated colour flashed by brilliantly.  Now, the truth be told, my life still flows and flashes wonderfully but we no longer have Walton Family status.  :(   But now I know what the difference is between living and being 'alive'.  

Some of the more erratic spikes were little challenges I agreed to take on. I often found unknown, to me at least, strengths and abilities.  Who knew...  Sensory overload at a big quilt show led me to 'How To Make a Quilt' books.  Misunderstanding a class description led me to lowering my feed dogs, twirling dials and loosening bobbin screws and "pedal to medal"!  Gasp!!! But, it was glorious!   There might just be something to evolution because I asked, "So you can paint on fabric?".    "You can sew on paper???".  And then the Michael's store came to the big city and on the same street is Artist's Emporium.  8^)

The dips in the thread aren't all down in the dump disasters.  Most are just me weighed down with packages of mixed media art supplies. oops!  In the interests of my Rooster's voice box, I no longer have access to the grocery money as he hoarsely points out that we can't eat beads and brushes. This made a series of skippy skips in my thread line because I hate grocery shopping and I'm sure my creative cooking gene got burned.   The Rooster's creative cooking genes only swelled with steaming!  So we study one an other's packages and agree to give each other creative license.


Blogging started out as a slow swing that has become a pulsing heart beat.  I had no idea.  It has taught me to articulate my impulses, count the cost and challenge my abilities.  I luv blogging.

It is not about stats.  Good grief, numbers are my Achilles heel and kept me from the coveted high school diploma.  I don't keep track of my age (I was born 1949, you figure it out) but I've learned a thing or three and have the white hair to prove it.  For me writing it down, making it fun, and learning something is what keeps my thread flowing.  And I like all kinds of things.  Some I find interesting enough to try and fiddle with as I incorporate them into the current thread weaving, fibre based,  papered, painted and embellished work of 'art' that I'm currently playing with.  Playing being the operative word.

And eclectic would be the word to describe my blogging.


eclectic Look up eclectic at Dictionary.com
1680s, originally in reference to a group of ancient philosophers who selected doctrines from every system; from Fr. eclectique(1650s), from Gk. eklektikos "selective," lit. "picking out," from eklektos "selected," from eklegein "pick out, select," from ek "out" (see ex-) + legein "gather, choose" (see lecture). Broader sense of "borrowed from diverse sources" is first recorded 1847. As a noun from 1817.
an eclectic group of peoplethingsor ideas is interesting or unusual because it consists of many different types
an eclectic mix/collection/variety


This blog is my journey, my discoveries, my pot holes.  Perhaps the thread spool was placed in my hands at birth and I deliver it up at the journey's end.  But I do know it is variegated and sometimes catches in the spool holder.  I'm gratified to have people interested in reading what I'm up to or shall I say immersed in.  The one thing I can promise is that it'll be eclectic.

8 comments:

Leanne said...

Thank you, this was a lovely tale and I look forward to hearing whatever part your eclectic blogging decides to share. I hope you have a creative new year!

MarveLes Art Studios said...

Simply beautifully... said! What a great post. Thanks for sharing it, our lovely Elle! I am so glad you are in my life, and found blogging! SOLI DEO GLORIA Sister! XO

HollyM said...

I could never express it as well as you, but eclectic is definitely a word I would use for my creative life. If I had to look for another analogy it might be a stream. I just roll along picking up all sorts of flotsam and jetsam as the ideas strike.

Right now I'm in the middle of a new process and I'm all excited. It could end up to be a mess though.
Happy New Year's!

Createology said...

Dear Elle this is such a wonderful insight into you and your life. You have woven a tale with the thread of your being and told it so well. I have enjoyed your blog and your friendship since I first somehow found you in blogland. We share a lot in common even though we are of two different countries. May you continue to weave your threads into creative endeavors and enjoy a very healthy and happy 2012. Champagne Hugs Dear...

What Comes Next? said...

what a wonderful post - thank you Elle! May 2012 bring many more slubs and smooth spots in your thread.

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Without a doubt you are a very talented mixed media artist but you are, also, a wonderfully, creative storyteller. Your blogs and your adventures always make me feel good when I read them.....except for the fact that I'm envious of your energy level (I feel better now tho', knowing that you're just a "kid")!!! I look forward to swapping tales in the upcoming year! Happy 2012 and may God bless you and your family in the New Year.

Twisted Quilts said...

Love your post! I always enjoy reading your blog and your enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is such am important quality. I admire you positive attitude and approach to life and the ups and downs. I love reading about your ideas and projects.

Bernie said...

elle,
I love this entry. The way you searched for meaning and found the different paths of your life.
I really enjoy your blog and love your creative processes.
Bernie