Friday, October 22, 2010

Can you get there from here?


At least once a week I cross this bridge to have coffee with friends. I'm thankful for this bridge as the winding river that separates us has fewer bridges to cross as time, bigger vehicles and fast speeds deteriorate the bridges that remain. This particular bridge's good condition is possibly due to the fact that one must slow to navigate the curve, to climb the incline and to discover the mystery of what is around the bend.
Kinda like life!

The far bank is very steep and erosion is trying to make a shorter path to join the curve and switch back that is just out of sight. I, too, am always looking for the short cut, the quicker way.
The near side is lower and has a lot more brush. It is often flooded. Beavers, muskrats, foxes, etc. live in the tangle and are always looking for ways to change the flow and expand their territory. I frightened a Canada Goose who was resting under the bridge. A lot of flapping and smacking of its feet during lift off and it was around the bend and out of sight before I could say, sorry to disturb!

Interestingly, the return trip doesn't show all the complexities that are involved in the beginning journey.
But I am at the beginning of this coming winter's creative journey. Unless I want to portage over all the stuff on my work table I must clear the channel to get the water flowing. The bigger dilemma is the height of the two banks. The low bank is easily accessed with great intentions and wonderfully exciting options that quickly tangle themselves into interesting little messes. The higher bank, where the erosion eats away and the more productive land lies, is where the older, 'must finish' projects await. I need to figure how to cross the bridge efficiently every day so I am both creative and productive.
And not scare all the wildlife as I'm doing it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful post, sweetie.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What great photos! And the country looks so peaceful and inviting

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love the analogy between your winter projects and this river. I'm so in awe of how you view life. Like your art, it is always unique, fertile, and imaginative. Very cutting edge post!