Thursday, January 19, 2017

FYI Purple/Violet


Purple or violet is a secondary colour that is mixed with two primary colours.  It is difficult to get consistent results so I just buy a big basic purple. This tube is Basics Dioxazine Purple.  It saves time and frustration.  Likely one can buy red violet and blue violet as well but then the art budget and the storage limitations are strained.    Mixing more or less red or blue gives the derivatives. Sort of...

It depends on whether one uses a warm or cool red and a warm or cool blue.  And then there are all the variations and combinations.  We won't do the math on the percentage of blue verses red!  eek!  I like and use purple but I'm kinda glad that purple/violet isn't my most favourite and used colour.  ;^)

And to add to the diversity there are various colour wheels.  Joen Wolfrom includes violet and purple in her colour wheel and 3-in-1 colour tool.  I can see that this makes sense.  But still...



One can see that 'it is complicated'!  lol   So sticking to the KIS students principle, I will stick with the simpler 12 colour colour wheel and buy a big tube of purple to which I'll add warm or cool reds depending on the temperature of my story!

1 comment:

Frances Arnold said...

That sounds like a great KISS option!!!