Tuesday, December 14, 2010


I tackled the box of green scraps which had a few teal bits. I laid double sided interfacing down, removed the top release paper and arranged strips. I ironed then down when I had a nice selection in place using a Teflon sheet to protect the iron. Then I removed the release paper from the back and added a fabric backing.

I don't care for raw edges fraying so I laid a piece of black netting over everything. It really is almost invisible but adds a unifying element to the various fabric scraps.

I used variegated thread to apply various sewing machine stitches to stabilize everything.

I rejected my first idea of straight cuts for my bookmarks because diagonals are much more interesting. This is about 2" x 8". I satin stitched around the edge and then added two buttons, one sewn on top of the other for some interest.

The TOM challenge has caused me to be more diligent in using my scraps. It is also a great way to experiment with 'What if...'


Laura said...

These are beautiful, I love the fabric colors you used. You should make another piece and use it for something quilty! I know how you feel about the raw edges, I always have to satin stitch or use a decorative stitch to finish them off, I always think the raw edges will cause the fabric to fray too much eventually.

Createology said...

Elle I am loving your bookmarks. They are super fabulous and you are genius. Happy reading...

Gina said...

I like how you're using your scraps; great bookmarks! I noticed you said 'box of green scraps'... I need to get busy and sort my scraps!