Monday, December 27, 2010

Just in time delivery


I did get the grand kiddies quilts made up for the big day!


In fact I used them as the wrapping paper for what they 'really' wanted!

Matching the horizontal lines on the back with the gridded lines on the front was problematic so I decided to do diagonal lines.

I used variegated thread. I will be reconsidering variegated thread that goes from light to dark as something is usually too much. I shall be on the lookout for medium blendables.

The first lines were straight stitch thru the centres of the squares. I sewed all in one direction. I used a 3 step zig zag for the lines on each side of the initial straight lines but I stitched them all from the opposite direction to prevent distortion. I thought it worked well.

I did machine sew the bindings. I think I'll still hand sew the 'heirloom' quilts even if I manage to perfect the machine bindings.

The little quiltlets were also used for wrapping and can be wee blankies or placemats.
Now I need to update my Loose Feathers List. Happy Holidays!!!

7 comments:

Eva said...

How much love is in these gifts. Hope they will understand that some day.

Createology said...

Your quilts are wonderful and will be such a keepsake for your precious little grands! Happy week to you my dear...

Vicki W said...

I bet they have those quilts a lot longer than they have the toys that were wrapped in them!

Gina said...

They are beautiful!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm SO impressed with your sewing skills. And I can see why you are so proud of those babies.

I have been looking for variegated thread that goes from light to dark. I had one small spool of beige to dark brown and I loved it for my paper arts. However, I agree that it is no good for matching fabric colors. I'm off to see what else I have missed this week.

KatieQ said...

Using the quilts to wrap the other gifts is a great idea. I love the picture of your GD with her "baby." It looks as though you had a wonderful holiday.

Yvonne said...

Those quilts are so nice. I know they love them. Children are what it's all about. Love your photos.