Wednesday, August 22, 2012

WOW A sweat shop for story bags!



Occasionally I am asked to sew something for a group that works with young kids.  This project is about 'story bags'.



They seem like awful big stories!  I was thinking shoe bag but these are quite a bit bigger.  Mine is not to reason why but to ...

Sew!

I did the math, had my Rooster check the figures, made my corrections and headed off to the fabric place in the city.  Argghhh!  I never thought about wider yardage.   :(

Math defeats me.  Every time.

So sticking with appropriate widths, I picked the biggest bolt.  And - 18 inches too little, one bag short.  I explained the project to the gal and I was greatly encouraged that her math is as bad as mine.  :)
We laid the prototype down and did a physical measurement.   She is sure it'll work.  I'm not but I took it because I couldn't face all those fabric choices again.  The worse case scenario means another trip to the city for a close match for the remainder.

Did I mention that this is a summer project and I may run out of summer before I run out of material!


I am enjoying my journal book for trying different things.  I wanted to compare white lines and black lines.  I definitely need practice with both so I shall experiment some more.

Jenn comes today for Creativity 101.  I can't wait to show her the progress I am making on the workroom in the barn. The work is harder than I thought.  I have been sweating. No bandages but I do have some significant bruising on my poor pinched hand and my shin!  A few more of the Rooster's supplies to remove from my side and I'll be ready for the scrub down. His side looks great!  I'm getting kinda excited although I can see my space shrinking as I start to get an idea of what I want where!  Darn, the barn is big enough, so I just need to get my greed under control.  LOL


Before I get Jenn to help with the story bags I'll razzle dazzle her with this very cut punch I got.  My first punch.  I hope these aren't addictive!

The weather is very temperate so working is quite pleasant.  Hopefully the only sweating will be if the math doesn't work out!

12 comments:

greelyrita said...

A whole lot of drawstring bags? If I were nearby, I would help. I'm good with large numbers of things that need sewn.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

I am with you on the math thing!! I never seem to get it right, and am always scraping little bits of scraps together to finish!!

Dandelion and Daisy said...

All craft supplies are addictive and should be labeled, as such!!! I'm liking the black thing right now. I'm not comfortable with it but I keep trying. Black and white really add punch when applied correctly....correctly being the key word here.

Susan J Barker said...

Well, I am pretty good at math, thanks to the geometry that I use practically everyday in quilting. I do not like making draw string bags tho! And as you say, summer may end before the job does! As my Ma used to say, just put your head down and one foot in front of the other and keep on walkin'!

Dolores said...

Yes, it's nice when the weather co-operates so we can all breathe and get on with our lives. How many bags are you making?? They do seem a tad on the big side and I too am math challenged.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

you are always at something interesting Elle. Thanks for visiting and your wonderful comment....just finished mowing the lawn; still have trim to do when it cools off a bit. I have too many pots in the fire...lol

Patti said...

I am sooo with you on the math!! However, I do love making drawstring bags! Hope you end up with enough fabric afterall!

Mary Ann Tate said...

I'm pretty good at figuring out yardage and such if it's in inches and yards but I have never converted to metric. Too stuck in my ways I guess:)

Linda said...

Looks like fun!

Createology said...

Elle you are such a kind soul to sew story bags for children. This bag looks huge and will get mighty heavy filled with books. Keep sewing my dear. Your black line page is beautiful. My eyes need to see the white line page on a black or dark grey background. Love the new tag punch. Happy Creating 101 with Jenn.

Regina said...

What are story bags? And I think it is an universal law like gravity that fabric has to run out one item or scant inches short of requirements - unless one has oodles of it. Then it is not the right shade or one doesn't need much of it anyway.

Jo Vandermey said...

I use my guy to figure out measurements and then I add some fabric to that number so I always have a bit left over.... more for the stash.