Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wow - at home

All I do is centred in HOME.  From a contented place I create.  I create things for home.  Home reflects my creativity.  It really is a fun circle!

The best way I know to put my own personal stamp on my place of abode is to make as much of what goes into it myself.


Hence today's project.  Fitted sheets for the Sunshine Room's bunk beds..



The foam for the mattresses has arrived.  We'll cut it, make up the beds and await the weekend guest.
I had bought yards of pillow ticking thinking I'd use it to dye my own fabric. And it does dye wonderfully. But it is also a very tight weave and difficult to be doing a lot of stitching on.



These bunk beds are specially sized so I'll use the fabric to make sheets. They will be white for now but I'll dye them this summer when I make pillow cases and such to go with the quilt tops I have waiting to be machine quilted. The top is on the left and the backing on the right.

I also need to finish painting the doors and colour coordinating the odd woods and file cabinet.

So that isn't too exciting.



What I'd rather be doing is reading my new book.  I need to identify my artistic signature because it will affect everything I make whether it is an object of art or an home that reflects me.

Okay, back to the sewing but I'll definitely be thinking hard about 'my signature'!

Please click on the TN&TN button on my side bar to see other Canadian artist's work and their signatures.

9 comments:

Susan J Barker said...

Pillows and pillow cases I will attempt, but sheets, well, no, I don't think so... Love that you can do it though! And I definately agree, making your home your very own means being creative and innovative and decorating with your own needlework, woodwork, stain glass, pottery or other special touches...

Mary Ann Tate said...

I have had to make my own sheets because my son's had two single beds that were longer than standard. Once you do one it's not so hard. Plus you can pick fabrics that mix and match with the room's decor.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

never made sheets.....have fun with that one

Createology said...

Your sunshine room is looking very welcoming for guests. I used to make fitted crib sheets but that was a very long time ago. It is an excellent way to personalize your home space just as you do with your quilts and curtains and such. Your new book looks interesting and I completely understand finding your "signature". I haven't really ever found mine but I am always trying and evolving. We do center around our home.

Dolores said...

Good luck finishing up the guest room. I've not made sheets and I really don't like making drapes. The dyeing sounds a lot more interesting.

Katie said...

I've never made sheets before although the thought did cross my mind when I was making baby quilts and crib bumpers for my children, many many years ago. I wonder about my creative signature, the book looks interesting.

Dale Anne Potter said...

I've made almost everything else but not fitted sheets, so GOOD LUCK! Enjoy your visitors.

Sheila said...

I made sheets for my grandsons bed last year , his bed is extra long and standard sheets would not fit , not that difficult once you get the measurements figured out , have fun.

Regina said...

You must be my long lost twin as I use yellow on my walls as a neutral colour. I also have bunk beds in need of sheets (which are pretty easy but very boring to make).
As for being centered in our homes - that seems to be the only way to find ourselves?
I hope you'll post more about your creative signature, I am afraid one of my own would "box" me in too much.....