Wednesday, March 7, 2012

WOW I'm wooking.


Since the work on the black and white with gold stitch patterns is still in the boring stage I thought I'd show the Altered Book project I am doing.  Elizabeth, on her blog, is doing a new one with excellent steps for a successful project.  I started her earlier tutorial and I am embarrassed to admit that I haven't completed it.  I think it was the theme which was 'Just Me' that intimidated me.  ;^)

The whiter book on the right is my first AB.


So I'm doing a smaller simpler version. I picked the theme and gathered all sorts of materials to alter the pages. It is on trees and leaves which will help me explore and move my own design style further along.


The book is stitched which is just about the only requirement for success but it sure is a narrow tight binding.
I found my handy dandy sander to prep the cover.  I work on a cafeteria food tray but with a plastic table cloth on my work table.

I have already removed some pages

Lesson 3 was this week.

Then I went back and double checked my post on which glue to use for the end covers.
I decided to use the gel medium and I'm glad as the lid wasn't real tight and it is beginning to dry out so I added some water and I'm slapping away.  Waste of my crafting money is a great motivator!



I added some left over mulberry paper to strengthen the cover and first page.  I got creative with that first page to save the images which are about the first of March winds. The brayer is a favorite tool for smoothing and pressing.




The back got the leftover piece and wax paper keeps everything from sticking to whatever it shouldn't.



The gesso lid is doing a better job of keeping things moist and that is what I used on the cover.  I didn't have a foam brush but I do like the streaky effect from bristles.  This brush sheds bristles though and that is actually more texture than I want.  I also forgot I was going to go lightly over the palm tree.  :(

The niche has been made in my original book so I won't be adding one to the smaller book. But I am thinking that I am ready for the next step in the niche so without a lot of fore thought, I grabbed two scrap book papers and cut, and glued away. The green paper was glued on the inside back cover.  Then I worked with the pink paper to fit, fold and tuck to the back.


Then the top section is glued to the back cover. 'Just me' is being pressed down to secure the adhesive as I type!  I'm thinking I'll use vellum or cellophane for the window page.






Surprisingly I don't have a huge mess to clean up so there is no need to postpone making more stitching patterns for my experiment with Threads- the Basics and Beyond.

I have linked to quite a few previous posts this week.  It kinda makes me feel very techy. (I hope they all work)  But I have been remiss about linking my wow, what's on worktable to The Needle and Thread Network.  These are Canadian bloggers who are sharing their work and processes each week.  We have hit a milestone and now have over 100 followers and a good selection is showing up for your viewing pleasure. Please hop over and check us out for WIP Wednesday #29

12 comments:

Dolores said...

What an interesting project. Thanks you. I love seeing works in progress.

Mary Ann Tate said...

I took a book binding class years ago and ever time I see someone working on an altered book I want to do one too. It's not quite the same thing but I loved working with all of the various papers specially the Japanese papers.

Susan J Barker said...

I did a few altered books about 10 years ago and somehow lost the momentum, your project with the window is something that I had not learned about when I was doing the books, so now you may have inspired me to pick up a book and see what happens!

HollyM said...

Choosing leaves as a theme is a great idea. I'm always dragging them home. I've got a book all picked for just such a cause but never got around to it. good for you. It's going to be lovely.

Createology said...

How joyful you must feel to be making art in your studio. Love the altered books and your paper niche is beautiful. I did go over and follow the Canadian WIP blog and checked out a few. I am always amazed at the talents people all over the world share. Onward and forward with your trees and leaves my dear...

Dandelion and Daisy said...

I love the niche and I've never tried to make one........you and Elizabeth may inspire me to give it a try.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

You are so talented Elle...love what you're doing there.
And thank you for stopping by today....Until you mentioned it; I hadn't relized the cute little saying about spring being licked and summer almost....that was too cute...

Katie said...

I've always wanted to try making altered books. I thought I might give it a try with a few board books that my kids had outgrown long ago, but it never happened.

Sheila said...

As always an interesting read into your crafting life , you never cease to maze me with what you will tackle , looks great !!

Margaret said...

Elle, I love your cottage -- er, coop! Thank you for stopping by my blog. I too have tried an AB...but it's too much paper and not enough fabric (pour moi). I appreciate your comments.

Best wishes,
M in M - Alberta

Mrs.Pickles said...

what clever idea! Thanks for sharing

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I swear I would have been here sooner, but life has really kicked me in the blog comments this week (grin).

You really MUST show that in the Linky section when we share our niches in another week or so. I am in awe of what you did and, like you, I am making ONE niche, although I have two books I'll be working in. Now I'm off to see what else I've missed on your blog these past several days.