Wednesday, February 15, 2012

wow testing


Just stitching out all of the preprogrammed patterns that are in Nina's innards can be a bit boring but I've had a few  what if's...

Stitch #114 looks kinda hody hum on the selection screen but wow!  I like it!  Then I was still thinking about it a pattern later and stitched the pattern twice.  Awk,  it'll ruin my nice photo opportunity for WIP Wednesday.  duh!  So I hit mirror image and squeezed in the pattern and this will remind me when I'm hunting for bright ideas to try the mirror image in combos!


I stabilized my fabric and marked it so I'd know where to cut my sections.


Using a white side, a black side and stitching in a medium colour does make a difference.  Some stitch patterns just look better on one side than the other.  go figure!


I trimmed the squares and then placed two with wrong sides together and edges stitched.  I am using one  patters on each pair and making a note of the number.  I also am finding that sewing off the edges  and doing the sides and then top and bottom edge is working better than turning corners.


Boring with brief moments of inspiration but definitely this is a good idea.  I'll be keeping them in a handy box and referencing them often.

This exercise also reminded me that while I do like free motion I also like the lovely patterning that our sewing machines are perfectly suited to do.  Nina just purrs away.  What if...




A few years ago I challenged myself to work in a limited palette.  I need to challenge myself to find ways to incorporate Nina's penchant for perfect patterns and my passion for free form.

14 comments:

MarveLes Art Studios said...

Now you are really on to something! It's really alot of fun to combine both patterned, and free motion stitching, together for a truly one-of-a-kind piece! Way to be disciplined in stitching them out!! And don't forget your 'combi' mode to create even more unique design elements... and your alphabet...and... well you know! It never ends! Say it isn't "sew?!"

What Comes Next? said...

I've always intended to stitch out all the designs on my machine, but have never gotten around to it. Your presentation on two colours of fabric does make it look more interesting.

Susan J Barker said...

Thanks for this idea excersize! I never thought to actually stitch all those patterns on contrasting fabrics in real. I recently used a stitch pattern that I had not ever tried out before on a post card and it gave the card a Magic finish I did not expect, so much so that I made a second similar one for myself!

Mary Ann Tate said...

I don't have a lot of stitch options on my old Singer but I don't think I have ever tried them all out like this. Might give it a try:) I also have a old Beaumark (Hudson's Bay brand which was really made by Phaff) sewing machine that I have just resurrected from it's cupboard. It hasn't been used in years.

Peggy said...

I did that too when I got my machine - so handy!

Regina said...

Great idea, especially the black and white background!

Karin Millson said...

I believe that a machine with a zig zag and straight stitch can be handled to create a world of wonderful stitches. There are so many other ways to vary the stitch... I love the colours and the visual textures you have got.

HollyM said...

I like the piece with the limited palette and I like the idea of delving more into your patterns in a free form way. Sounds textural and interesting.

Sheila said...

Wonderful exercise and a great way to learn just what your machine is capable of , thanks for this idea .

Patti said...

What a great idea! I really should do that too. I think 99% of the stitches on my new machine have gone unused.

Cheryl Coville said...

It wouldn't take me long to stitch out all my Singer can do. Let's see.... there's zig-zag and straight stitch. :) I'm usually satisfied with that but now you've gone and shown me what I'm missing. You have some lovely designs going on there.

Createology said...

What a wonderful way to catalog Nina's stitches. I really like how you used the white and black with a colored thread to show the subtle differences. When I took my new machine introduction classes we did everything to fit into a three-ring binder and that is very handy to refer to from time to time. I just had to review my manual to remember how to move the needle position for making a perfect 1/4" seam. Jeesh! I should be sewing more often so I remember what I learned. Happy stitching with Nina...

M-R Charbonneau said...

What a great idea! I love that you did it on white and black so that you have both reference points. I'm definitely going to do this too. Thanks for sharing this, Elle!

rtquilter said...

Great ideas, elle! O have a new Bernina and there are so many new stitches but, like you, I prefer less perfection and more serendipity! I really should make a sampler though as stitched out, they look so different from the little diagrams.