Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thread Tales


I am amazed at how much thread these samples are eating up and I haven't done very many of the filled stitches as of yet. But I need to find another thread to continue with my samples.


I originally wanted to use some 100% Mercerized cotton from Cansew  as I had bought a box of the ecru colour which is a chameleon colour that resembles old gold.  The plastic spools have a slit for holding the thread end and it catches badly when it feeds.  In the picture above you can see how it catches and lifts up. This makes problems. :(  Then I learned about spool caps!

Spool cap covers prevent thread from catching in the spool notch, and assure even delivery of thread. Ordinary spools require the large spool cap, which is larger in diameter than the thread spool, and thinner spools use the small cap cover, which is larger in diameter than the spool, and yet not too large as to impede thread delivery.

I snagged this cropped image from the MarveLes Art Studios to share.  Leslie has some great tips.  I'd seen  ends caps but didn't understand what they did or how they worked.  Thanks, Leslie for enlightening me.  I know I have end caps in my serger tool box but it is at the DD's.  I don't recall Nina coming with any although I think my previous Bernina may have had some.   I'm off to collect my little sewing partner tomorrow so I'll be returning with those end caps so I can keep the samples rolling.  hmm, The Grand kidlet can play with the empty spools.  Leslie also recommends saving thread tails for adding to fabric paper.  There will be more tales to tell in this saga.   ;^)


3 comments:

Createology said...

Oh no now you will have an ORT jar next to Nina. I just bought some thread today and was shocked...it was $7.09 and only the small medium size spool. I have also noted fabric has gone up in price quite a bit. How can this happen just when we need supplies for our creativity? Happy stitching with your new end caps...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I think I have one of those caps for my Singer, but I only have three stitch patterns on my machine, so it wouldn't take long to make samples of my stitches. I DO like how you used both white and black fabric to make the sample stitches, though. As for thread, I have been stalking the thrift store to see if I can buy it there. Since I'm not really a "seamstress," the thread weight and count doesn't really matter to me. I seem to do better with thinner thread, anyway. Of course, what I know about sewing you could put in a thimble and still be able to insert your finger(grin).

MarveLes Art Studios said...

Do Tell The Tale! Hey, I hate those older spools with the cranky slit cut in them! I suggest turning it upside down, too... although you the spool cap may work just as good! Keep it UP!