Thursday, February 2, 2012

Aging Legs



This turned out to be a much bigger job than I figured.

 The cream chalk paint dried overnight and this morning I applied a clear wax to all the painted woodwork.


Then I added the dark wax.  I did all of one chair which made extra work because it dries too much and then you have to really rub to get it off.  You want the darker wax to just get into the dips and depressions and wipe off the extra leaving only a slightly aged effect.  Applying more clear softens things and makes it look good.  But one section at a time is better.


I got both chairs done and was working on the foot stool when my Rooster showed up on his lunch break to take my flat tire off.  NO, I have no idea, says she with a niggling doubt in the back of her mind, why a new tire would go flat!!!.  By the time I got him back to work and the tire to the tire shop my footstool was quite dry and lacked that extra polishing time.


There she is.  Does she need something  more to make her compatible with the others?  Hard to tell from these photos.  If it really was this obvious I'd know to darken it a bit but in reality I'm thinking she need lightening.


Edit: ah, I knew I wasn't going colour blind!


She will stay in the sitting room with the taupe chairs that show in the background.  The 2 chairs will be nearby in the dining room.

The distressed look fits our lifestyle.  Not so much shabby chic as comfortable rooster.  I must also confess that this old biddy does drag, bang, and bounce the vacuum off the various corners of doorways and protruding legs.  oye!

Now my own legs are quite fine but my hands are feeling all the rubbing and patting.  Next is to deliver them to the gal who will be recovering them.

But really, they are looking not too shabby!


4 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I can't keep up with you. I also heard of gams. My grandfather probably, or maybe an old movie. Those legs are definitely worth crowing over! I was surprised, though that you were not the one to reupholster the pieces. After all, you are a great seamstress.

MarveLes Art Studios said...

Yes, they look quite "chic" and nicks and jabs will only enhance their 'future beauty' I am sure! Nice job!!! (no surprise!)

HollyM said...

I like what the white paint does to transform the pieces. the waxing and 'antiquing' makes it fit in with your style. Very nice.

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Are you having all three pieces covered in the same fabric or will the foot stool be different? I'm looking forward to seeing them finished, I'll bet they will be beautiful.