Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wow normally

I had a good day Tuesday taking Nina in for her spa treatment. Then I spent a lovely couple of hours with  Elizabeth, my Bernina dealer,  learning all about Nina's potential.  I had read her manual and learned a thing or four!  She is quite the machine!


It turns out she did not need a full treatment, only a manicure for a hangnail!  So glad to have her back in action and we can continue our thread experiments.  I made lots of notes and I'm very excited to work through all the options for thread and stitch choices.


But I had thought Nina'd be gone so I continued to pursue the finding of my style with the leaves I'd sketched/copied.


Today is all about what I call lick and stick.  The real name of the technique is fusing.  I fused Pellon 805 Wonder-Under Transfer Web to various fabrics.


After everything has cooled down I remove the release or backing paper.  I can free cut the prepared fabrics with sharp scissors or an exacto knife.  I can also draw my applique shapes onto freezer paper which can be lightly ironed onto the fabric  which is roughly cut out and placed on a Teflon sheet or the release paper.  Removing the release paper and directly cutting the shape keeps fraying to a minimum.


After I cut the first leaf I realized I want to be able to mix and match the fabric pieces.


So I stacked 2 fabrics, placed the release paper between them when I ironed the freezer paper down. Then I removed the release paper. The backing is a bit sticky so they hold together for cutting  but they easily separate when I'm done.



I learned two things.  First I should have my 'real' glasses on and not my cheap designer readers from Michael's.  LOL   Then I need to find my better scissors and put a new blade in my exacto knife.


But the trial run was a success and I'm expecting great results on any normal day.  I can get Nina to fill in any gaps even on these which are all ready for fusing permanently to a background.

After all the preparations are done the playing can begin!

6 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Hi Elle.....I love your posts..you are so amusing. You have a great mind. It will be interesting to see your finished piece....glad Nina is ok...

Createology said...

Great news that Nina is ready to play. Your leaves are amazing and look ready for your threads. Happy stitching dear...

Mary Ann Tate said...

Looks like you are having lots of fun:)

Regina said...

I cut my wonder-undered shapes with the paper still in place. The best scissors I found for intricate cutting and no fraying are cheapo Dollarstore children's scissors. I would never have thought they were sharp enough without a bored child cutting up her clothes in school.....
Have a nice week

Dolores said...

I like your playing. It will be interesting to see the finished project.

Cheryl Coville said...

Pretty colours and elegant shapes.