Friday, April 27, 2012

Dominance


"Dominance through emphasis of one or more particular elements creates a focal point in your design. It’s where most people will instinctively go when first looking at your work. Dominance will create an entry point on the page from which you can lead the viewer to other parts of the page."

It turns out I'm  not quite finished with CONTRAST because it plays a big part in Dominance.

"Dominance relies on contrast, since without contrast everything would be the same. You might even think of dominance as contrast in extreme, though it doesn’t have to be."

I found great info over here.  I think it is really helpful to try and learn these principles from various sources because it really enhances our creativity.


One thing dominating my thoughts is the challenge fabric.


This did NOT work.  I tried oil paint sticks over a rubbing and I need to do a little more research on the technique!   There has to be a recognizable amount of the challenge fabric visible so I'll need to keep this in mind.  This is VERY definitely a work in progress and a lot of what NOT to do!  . 


And dominating a corner of the barn is my 'new to me' work counter.  I had rejected it as not working here in the house but when I saw all the shelves on the open side I thought about it a little harder.  Then I realized  I could use it in the workroom.  It wasdelivered tonight.  Now I just have to get the room built up around it.  whoo hoo!
But I won't be letting any projects dominate my weekend as the Rooster and I are off to fluff our feathers in an whole different coop.  But it would be nice if a few contrasting ideas arrived in my nest box while I was away to help solve my challenge dilemma. lol

The grand kiddies will be in my playroom while I'm gone.  I hope I'll be able to find things when I get back.  That could really be a challenge!  ;^)

4 comments:

Mary Ann Tate said...

I hope you have a great time away and you solve your challenge...I have no help or ideas to offer ...sorry.

HollyM said...

I'm sure an idea will come to you while you're away. I love your shelf. It should work great in your work room.
Have a great weekend!

Createology said...

Have a wonderful time away and just enjoy without worrying about your art or your playroom. Love your new workroom worktable. I am at a loss about your challenge fabric. I would have thought the paint should have been a more DOMINANT addition. I really enjoy how you explain your processes of art and pages. Safe travels and be in the moment...

What Comes Next? said...

Elle, I love seeing what you are working on every week - such a fabulous variety of projects. I love your work and enjoy reading your blog I would like to award you the Liebster Blog Award. The Liebster Blog award is presented to blogs that the presenter believes should be recognized. It is given to "small blogs" - those with fewer than 200 followers. Check out my blog for more details. Congratulations! :)