Wednesday, April 11, 2012

WOW Breathing

 I have to drag my mind away from everything but this top.  It is the focus for the next little while.

I left it at this point last Wednesday. and I knew something was wrong.  It is difficult to match pieces to a sewn block accurately and all the curves have me confused.  Sew- breathe deeply and think about this.


I laid some pieces out on the table top and aha, my curves were wrong on the edges.  But when I took the pieces to the wall I again had to breathe deeply and do a bit of fiddling.  I think I have it.  I have also had a revelation.  Never again will I stop before I am done.  I forgot the plan and it is excruciating trying to regroup.


This is not a hard block to make.   The curves are gentle. I don't even pin once I've done a few.  The trick is putting the right piece topmost and pressing some seams open.  The fabric is starched and that helps in the cutting and the sewing.  The acrylic templates make things faster, easier and more accurate. 


I would recommend NOT counting how many pieces you'll need because there are a lot in each block and the block is small, six inches finished.  That is intimidating.  lol   But they go together fairly quickly and while all the colours make it a bit confusing to lay things out it also keeps my interest up while sewing.


I think I have the colour placement as it needs to be. I am thinking about the mauve on the edges but there is some in the centre so it does tie in.  I do know I do not have enough fabric but I have several similar fabrics so it is just a matter of deciding how to scatter them around so it looks like I meant it to be that way!

I'm happy to link up to The Needle and Thread Network and when I need to stop and breathe deeply I'll be visiting my fellow participants.

11 comments:

Mary Ann Tate said...

It's going to be lovely Elle:)

Createology said...

I can honestly relate to keep at it and don't set it aside to have to come back to. The details of re-aquainting with a project seem to be worse than the initial start-up. Your quilt will be stunning once you get all the pieces together. Breathe, relax and just put those pieces together dear...

rtquilter said...

Lotta work there , elle! I love the spring colours!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

too much thinking there for me Elle....lol. Looks great though

Kit Lang said...

this reminds me of those winding ways quilts - but your colours are lovely! I haven't sent your package yet (bad Kit!) so I'll slip in one of those books as well. :)

Cheers,

M-R Charbonneau said...

Whoa, that looks hard! It's going to be beautiful, Elle!

Margaret Applin said...

Wow! I don't know how you do it! I would not have the patience for that. It looks beautiful from my persective! Keep going :)

Leanne said...

This is already stunning, I can't wait to see how it looks when you are done. I do see why this is not a good one to set aside for a time, it is complicated!

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

ooooooh that quilt is SO pretty! I don't know how you do all those curves. I mess them up every time. Good for you!!

~Monika
hmm... could trade quilt for art some day... hmmmmm

Regina said...

That definitely looks like a gremlin quilt....where gremlins mess up everything each time something is moved from wall to machine and back....don't let them get then better of you!

Cheryl Coville said...

You know it's just going to be worth every minute of work. It's just lovely!