Thursday, July 18, 2013

And as a result...

Most intriguing- Richard Long's Niagara Sandstone Circle, 1981
This was part of the Group of Seven era focusing on landscape.  This about 15' in diameter.  The shape is fixed by the artist and for each installation the 362 pieces are laid down and the work is 'remade'.  There was a similar work down with wooden beams and a Stone Henge effect but it didn't 'speak'  So I am isolating the circle shape  and the curved line as a primary design element for my particular toolbox.

Most feeling-  Maxfield Parrish's Dream Castle in the Sky 1908
His passion was colour and this was delightful. Parrish blue was named for him.   It also has stylized foliage, rocks, water which convey a fantasy feel. I like that curved line that puts a ceiling on the fantasy.  ;)  We, Gemini, have a hard time making up our minds between two luvs.  I'm also drawn to muted colours but my primary design element will be the clear colour palette.


Most surprising- Group of Seven
I'd previewed this on the WAG site before going and was totally surprised by how huge it is!  The figures are almost life size but the background reaches way up and that clear looking photograph in the background is so subtle (tone on tone) and so neutral and so draws you in to try to see details of the brushwork.  amazing! I like texture and this subtle background opened my eyes to using a subtle but textured background.  I also realize contrast is much more than big and small or black and white but can be matte and shiny or realistic and stylized.
But I was also surprised by my feelings of patriotism.  I really got into these seven and even bought a book on the one artist that appealed most. 

I'd gotten a book from the library to have a heads up.  A. J. Casson was 'the kid' of the group and his work is a wee bit different.  He liked watercolours better than oils and included more signs of human habitation. I had my eye out for his work and so I bought his book.   Studying these Canadian artists  I learned not to generalize.  Amongst the whole hides the individual.

Most compelling- artist David Milne 1939 another Canadian (1882-1950) and unlike the sociable Group of Seven he was a loner and a perfectionist. I bought this print in the gift shop. I wanted a 'souvenir'.  I should have gone back and had a better look at this one for real. Hmm, maybe I will!   I wish I'd bought the book about him. I'd remembered him from my library book and he obviously made more of an impression than I realized.  I am way more 'modern' than I thought as I keep coming back to this one.  The colour, the brushwork, the distinct lines, the stylized shapes, the white spaces and just the general 'feel' of it.  I learned that I can over-think things and the spontaneous 'this one' can speak the most truly! ;-)

Highlights:

Revisiting The Bay.  Lots of memories in this department store.  I fear for its future. This was the view through the opening on the rooftop of the WAG.



This large sculpture would be incredible lit from within at night.  That word spells PARADISE!

I am so drawn to blue green glass. And bits of gold. yum!   Some of these have sand embedded into their nooks and niches!  This was in the permanent gallery and not so crowded so I clicked a discreet photo, no flash!  lol

Another from the permanent gallery;  dark with the mellow centre.  Still lifes? For moi??

 For sale in the gift shop.  I like art that transitions through the seasons.  This can be interpreted in many ways.  I luv that!
This smaller work also would offer different possibilities each time it was studied.  The black and white houses is a large work that reminded me of quilt blocks.

More possibilities as I am not ready to deny my quilt making roots.  hmm, and just when I was certain I liked low contrast here is black contrasted with white.  oye!


And then there was the glass work.   vbsigh  Totally NOT affordable.  I am not a pink person but I think I am going to have to rethink pink as I have lots of pink fabric, I take pink pictures and I think it is time to stop keeping it at arms length!  :O

I actually took this because I was thinking of Vicki, who is knee deep in glass pieces.  lol  But again, a quick choice of the many I could have taken.  The frame, the grid, the white space, the black scribble, the asymmetrical positioning, the possibilities for interpretation, the....

Darn, Gemini's!  We have a hard time settling on just one thing!

 This!
or This?

Curves or grids?  Muted or bright?  Grids or free form?  Abstract or still life? High contrast or low contrast?  Contemplate or create?

So as a result, I will just have to clear my schedule so I can try it all!  What if...

3 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Like you, I love every piece you showed, except you would never catch me owning that glass. I refuse to own anything that expensive AND breakable. But it is all simply gorgeous. I can tell you had a wonderful time. Well worth the trip.

Margaret Applin said...

THINK PINK!!! I luuvvvv pink :) Well, once again, teacher, you have provided a thorough and captivating lesson! I love how you tell the story!!! Gemini twin :)

Createology said...

Elle Dear I am so thrilled that you visited and absorbed this gallery and its contents. My absolute favorite is Maxfield Parrish's Dream Castle in the Sky 1908. This one makes me swoon. I also really like the Black and White Houses with Trees. Pink is such a soft and romantic or bright and cheerful color and I adore pink. Your recap of each piece is intriguing. That rusty sculpture would be amazing lit up. Thank you for the art lessons dear. Now go and embrace your curious can't decide self...