Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Monday-quilting


I have been working on some of my deadlines. The BOM is first on the list. I am really liking these. I am also considering changing the way I would construct these were I to start again. Like most new quilters I followed the rules. I do 1/4" seam allowance and press to the dark side. I did learn to press the centre of 8 point stars so the seams spread around a bit. But if I am going to do a larger quilt... I really don't like all those bumps.
What if... you always pressed seams open? Are they still easy to butt up together and match?

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

When I have a block with lots of seams like that, I often press the seams open. When you do that you don't really butt the seam allowances together. It requires more pinning but it makes the block flatter in the long run. JMHO though!

Twisted Quilts said...

I have the same problem with seams. I hate to press them open because I feel like the batting might come through. I read suggestions of ironing seams open but I haven't had the courage to try it yet.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen Sew, Mama Sew's quilting month? One of the recent posts (http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=6358) was about pressing seams and specifically about how the reasons against pressing seams open may no longer be valid. It was an interesting read...

Createology said...

I don't know much about quilting except that it is a lot of work and not for me. I love your blues and greens. Happy quilting...