Thursday, July 14, 2011

No couch potato




I'm beginning to feel like my old self. Of course, there is always room for improvement but I'm feeling the energy surge.
The binding gave me fits but that was because I under estimated the finished width. Now to hand sew it down.



The Three Creative Studios Tutorial of the Month was excellent. All about couching.

I did make a trip in to the city to get the much recommended open embroidery foot which is clear and has a small hole in the front for threads. Great visibility and has guide marks.

I had the free motion foot and it is so much fun. I do need a lot more practice but it is so cool!




Now I need more practice but this is exactly what I want to add to my fibre art so I shall be playing a lot more with couching.


I have been trying to work in the yard in the mornings. It is hot. I don't need to know the numbers; it just makes me hotter. Tomorrow I should have some photos to show I am not in any hammock sipping lemonade.

3 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've seen that couching technique on TV and how you use the special foot to keep the thread aligned properly. I have no free motion stitching on my machine and I have no way to do a lot of those things that people with many stitches can do. But I'm enjoying seeing what you are doing with thread and fabric!

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Beading feet work too. So do the rolled hem feet, and they come with all machines. I couch all the time with my art and postcards. :-)
Monika

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Any machine can free motion. Just use a darning foot and set the stitch length to 0. Fyi:-)