Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wow, laundry???


 I've been doing laundry and it hasn't been socks!  lol   No time for small stuff.  I'm thinking big!

 I need some fabric for block backgrounds.  So I sprayed away.  I might better have actually got out the dye apparatus but I was too far gone to stop and refocus.  ;)  This is the front which is more vibrant.

This is the back or underside of my spraying.  I was thinking that this might be too light and bright for what I have in mind.  The fabric is white feather ticking, a tight weave 100 % cotton  and cheap considering it is a good 100 inches wide.  I split it down the middle and it is still a bit wider than my table. In attempting to get all the fabric I started scootching it up.  aha!  I could get hills and valleys and maybe the colour would migrate around!  So I hung up the first piece to dry and found the rest of the fabric and started a second piece.

I wanted it a bit more muted and with some yellow greens.  I was a bit like a mad scientist.  I did try for hills and valleys. The movement was not quite what I hoped but still okay.

It has some blotchy areas as I tried different spray bottle nozzles.  Some were not sprays but spits!  :O  But I resisted doing more as I can fine tune later if necessary.

But I am sure to find the backgrounds I need in these two pieces so I can begin to think about the blocks themselves.  I want them to be about the size of my gelli plate.


 I need to make bigger/fuller leaf stencils and masks than I had used on my first attempt at making my own fabric.

 Then I remembered the Ikea fabric I bought for backing a lap quilt that also needed to be prewashed.


I now have some great inspiration for leaves.  These leaves are very close to my ideal!  It is coming together!!!

The rest of the week is gonna see housework, weeding and babysitting.  vbsigh  But I do hope to make some progress on getting my stencils and some more stamps made.  So I shall 'leaf you'  with a full laundry basket of fabric and a promise to turn over some new leaves next week.

I do believe I finally have something along the fabric line to show for The Needle and Thread Network.  I wonder what is in their laundry baskets?

8 comments:

Margaret said...

Looks great! It must have been so satisfying to just go with the flow and see what happens. Good for you!

What Comes Next? said...

beautiful! it turned out very well!

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I love the mottled look, and the stenciling looks fabulous too.

beaniekins84(at)gmail(dot)com

Createology said...

Now that is what laundry should be...fun!!! Your fabrics are beautiful. Love the leaves you are creating. Infinite Possibilities Dear...

Margaret Applin said...

It is DEFINITELY coming together!!! Love the new leaf design!!!

rtquilter said...

well done elle! Looking really cool. Aren't Gelli plates THE greatest things!!

Jennifer Scantlebury Vienneau said...

Love the leaf designs - I beleaf you can use both the positive and negative to great advantage - so many possibilities!!

Regina said...

I swear my breath stopped when I read laundry, but then I saw the fabric on the line and knew you were okay.
My son thanked me for washing his jeans today, but in fact I wanted to wash some dark fabric ....