Tuesday, June 17, 2014

One more chapter

Last week I needed two grad presents and journals seemed like a great idea.  In fact, I surprised myself with all of this.

I gathered my supplies and took my first process photo.  I wisely decided to split the cardboard covers,  Wisely because I ended up stuffing 21 assorted pages of folded paper into each journal. :O

But that wasn't the surprise.  The surprise was that I got so caught up in the making that I never thought of capturing any photos until I had the cord wrapped around the bulging books, the pens secured  and I had laid them down to consider how to gift wrap them.  It was two days of bliss.  Luved it!

The Rooster was reaching for the truck keys as I very quickly spread them out for a few quick shots!  :O

Forty two pages but only one signature .  I must learn to sew multiple signatures.

Some are small inserts and keeping them aligned during sewing is challenging.

 I used a variety of papers and techniques to add interest.

Most of the papers were made from earlier print sessions.

 Then I personalized the booklets even more with stamps and stencils.

 I also used some scrap booking sheets and coordinating accessory packages.

I ran out of time for any beads but some ribbon was a lovely addition.

I had to keep telling myself to leave room for the girls to do their own personalizing!  ;~)

The pocket on the back cover holds odds and ends but didn't quite have room for the pen. :(

I did so enjoy making these that I will definitely be making more and learning how to make them better!


MarveLes Art Studios said...

they are wonderfully done! sweet gifts, and how satisfying to get all that in a book! you are amazing! way to use all that you have for the max enjoyment!

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Awesome, awesome journals! So fun and well done, I'll bet the recipients loved them.

Dandelion and Daisy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dandelion and Daisy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dandelion and Daisy said...

Sorry for the multiples....Blogger and I are NOT speaking the same language today! Feel free to delete!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have to apologize for not visiting sooner. I was trying to catch up on your posts, and will go back and reread the ones on Lutrador, because I am very interested in it. For some reason, I thought I read that it was what the bottom of bed frames were covered with, but I am apparently wrong, especially after seeing how lacy it is.

Your books are beautiful. Did you hand sew yours together? I couldn't tell from the photos. I sewed my signatures on a sewing machine, as I added them to the covers, which are fabric, not cardboard, as yours appear to be, unless I missed something from the first photo.

IF you sew them using a machine, I found a zipper foot works, because you can move it from side to side. Although I could NEVER put a zipper in anything (except glued to a book page, of course), I love it for adding signatures.

Glad to see you had fun with your books. I really must make a few more of these soon! You have inspired me.

Jo Ferguson said...

You can see the love that went into making them. They are absolutely, incredibly, gorgeous.

Beth said...

Extremely creative. I have linked to this post today!!

Sketchbook Wandering said...

I came over from Beth's blog. Very lovely! Thanks for sharing your process!