Wednesday, September 7, 2011

WOW

First to find my work table!

I had to do some serious cleaning.







I got the first auction sale cupboard upstairs and into position. The cupboard's top is even with the cutting table but I'd like to have Nina's actual work surface even with the cutting table because this makes free motion quilting just so much easier and better. I prefer to sew standing up so this height works for me. I could cut out an insert as there is another shelf just below but this top is thick and I'd like to keep this heavy machine on a good solid surface. The base is actually workable and because it is worn it will probably be even sturdier if we trim off the bottom 3 1/4 inches. I'll still have an open toe plate for my toes and to push the foot pedal out of the high traffic area.



When I machine quilt a big quilt I'll push the cupboard around to the side of the cutting table so I can spread out the weight. I took this picture from inside the closet and behind my computer chair. What if I had more space??? ;^)




Last Wednesday I'd done some programed stitches to experiment with the zentangle look.



This week I did use the more open embroidery stitches but I moved my fabric from side to side to vary and open up the patterned stitches for a more organic look.




Then I tried my #43 free motion couching foot. I could only find some dark grey hand embroidery thread and it is another auction sale bundle so I don't know how good it is. Anyway I didn't like the result so on my town trip today I'll see about some better and heavier cording. I was wondering, what if...


I used white string on black fabric!!!

7 comments:

MarveLes Art Studios said...

Looking good! And looks like FUN to me!!!

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

mmm love your sewing space! ; )
hey thanks for linking up.
: )
~Monika
stitching in Saskatoon

Dandelion and Daisy said...

White on black should be stunning! Geez, I only cleaned....you've been doing heavy lifting. Looks good.

Createology said...

You are really "moving" forward and making great progress. All of your furniture is working out super. I love your Zentangling with Nina and her amazing stitches. I especially like the heart vine I see in the foreground. At this rate you must be waaaaaaaaay beyond your five accomplishments per day my dear. Blissful creativity to you Miss Elle...

Grandma Coco said...

I usually sew while sitting on a high chair, looking down on the machine which I have rigged to tilt slightly towards me. I never thought to try just standing up. I will definitely give this a go. Thanks for the idea, Elle.

Cheryl

Gina said...

I know of lots of potters who throw standing up but I don't think I've met sewers who stand to sew, but it makes sense. I sat in on a class for the new "8" Berninas and they were saying how important a good solid table is for the machine. Your set-up is looking good and so are your zentangles!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You have been making so many changes. Or should I say sew many changes? Really like the new pieces, but I've never even thought of standing to sew. I stand for everything else, though.